Who has to file a tax return?

You need to file a tax return if in the last year:

  • you are an employee or contractor
  • you were an Australian resident for the full income year
  • you were 18 or older on the last day – 30 June – of the last income year
  • your taxable income exceeded the tax free threshold in the 2006-07 income year